For Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) Women
The aim of the Safer Pathways for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) Women is to help CALD women living in regional areas that are experiencing, or at risk of, family and domestic violence or sexual assault, to access the support that they need.
Family and domestic violence and sexual assault support services play a critical role in most Australian communities to help women who are experiencing violence, or who may have experienced violence in the past. Consultation with CALD women indicates that services could be more proactive in offering support, and could work with CALD specific services, such as multicultural services, to assist CALD clients to become familiar with the kinds of support available.
The program’s objective is to:
- Achieve positive outcomes for at risk (or victims of domestic and family violence) CALD women, their children and their families by improving their safety and wellbeing; advancing gender equality and reduction of violence against women and children.
- Identify and reduce barriers to accessing support services for CALD women living in regional areas experiencing, or at risk of, family / domestic violence and or sexual assault
- Identify and test lasting ways for Safer Pathways workers to collaborate and work together with other community organisations, service providers and government agencies in the Mackay area to provide CALD women the best support available to them.
Safer Pathways for CALD women is funded by the federal government and is delivered in the Mackay area by George Street Neighbourhood Centre in partnership with the Mackay Women Centre, Domestic Violence Resource Services and the Mackay Integrated Service Team. The program also and collaborates with the Mackay Regional Councils “Mackay Draws the Line” and other government and non-government agencies in Mackay.
LIFE WITH BOUNDARIES SUPPORT GROUP
Safer Pathways Program runs a support group which is called Life with Boundaries.
The aim of Life with Boundaries Support Group is to assist CALD women in a culturally sensitive way to address the impacts of domestic and family violence and sexual assault.
Life with Boundaries provides:
- A welcoming and supportive environment;
- A safe space for women to talk about their experiences;
- Opportunities to gain strength and understanding through shared experiences;
- Connection with other women to break down social isolation associated with living with domestic violence;
Education about Women’s Health and Wellbeing;
- Activities to increase self-esteem and promote self-care;
- Education and information about domestic and family violence and sexual assault; and
Information about services available in the Mackay region.
Life with Boundaries is a closed support group that meets at Mackay Women’s Centre (418 Shakespeare Street) and is facilitated by George Street Neighbourhood Centre.
For more information please call 07 4957 7222 or 0400 788 218 or email
Shakespeare Child and Family Centre
43 Shakespeare Street, East Mackay QLD 4740