Good Beginnings Home Based Family Support Program
The George Street Neighbourhood Centre Inc. Good Beginnings Home Based Family Support Program utilises the services of qualified and trained volunteers to offer support, friendship and practical assistance to families in challenging situations. The Good Beginnings Home Based Family Support program covers the Mackay urban area — south to Bakers Creek, west to Walkerston and north to Shoal Point.
Families access this program for a range of reasons such as
- Being new to town and not knowing anyone
- Needing information about groups and services in the local area
- Feeling isolated or having no family or support to help
- Being the parent of a new baby and needing extra support
- Experiencing postnatal depression
- Having several children under school age and needing extra support
- Being a sole parent that needs extra support
- Being a father who has to care for children and a household for the first time
- Needing to feel more confident as a parent and a person
- Having suffered a loss and finding it hard to cope
- Finding life a struggle
How Does the Program Work?
The Good Beginnings Home Based Family Support Coordinator will visit and discuss any concerns. If both parties feel the program can help, a volunteer is then allocated to visit the family on a regular basis.
What Will the Volunteer Do?
The Good Beginnings Home Based Family Support volunteer will make contact and arrange a time to visit on a weekly basis. Some of the support they provide is;
- discussing different ways of managing difficult issues
- help you achieve your personal goals
The Good Beginnings Home Based Family Support volunteer will be respectful and will endeavour to assist in practical ways. It is important to note that the Good Beginnings Home Based Family Support volunteer is not an unpaid housekeeper or babysitter. This service is available to support you to work through your own challenges or issues. At no time will a Good Beginnings Home Based Family Support volunteer be with children unless the parent/guardian is also present.
Who Funds the Program?
This program is funded by the Queensland Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services and the Commonwealth Department of Social Services.
Who Are the Volunteers?
The Good Beginnings Home Based Family Support volunteers are people from our local community, who generously donate their time to support families in the Mackay region. To ensure the highest safety for our service users, a training program, referee checks and clearance by the Queensland Government, Commission for Children and Young People, are completed prior to commencing in their volunteer role for the program.
Shakespeare Child and Family Centre
43 Shakespeare Street, East Mackay QLD 4740
If you would like to discuss whether the program can support you or someone you know, please contact the Coordinator of the program on 4957 7222 for further information.